We live on a planet where 29% of the surface is land consisting of continents and islands. The remaining 71% is covered with water. We have no idea what lies beneath the ocean floor

 

Thalassophobia is an intense and persistent fear of the sea. This includes fear of being in deep bodies of water, fear of the vast emptiness of the sea, sea waves, sea creatures, and fear of distance from land. 

 

Did you know that only 5 percent of Earth’s ocean has been explored and charted? The rest remains undiscovered by humans. Which makes you think: in that minuscule 5 percent, we’ve already made many weird and creepy discoveries sure to give you the chills if you suffer from the so-called Thalassophobia. What about the remaining 95%? That’s one scary thought to ponder.

 

Here are some discoveries underwater that will send shivers down your spine and make you think twice about diving into the deep.

 

THE GREAT BLUE HOLE

 

 

 

This is a giant marine sinkhole found off the coast of Belize. The hole is circular in shape, 318 m (1,043 ft) across, and 124 m (407 ft) deep. Researchers have not reached the bottom of this blue hole, what if there is no end to its dept? People are speculating that this great blue hole may be a gateway to the Underworld and some say it’s just because of the earthquakes it was formed.

 

YONAGUNI MONUMENT

 

Yonaguni Monument is a submerged rock formation off the coast of Yonaguni, the southernmost of the Ryukyu Islands, in Japan. Marine geologists claim that the formations are man-made stepped monoliths. Other geologists say that it is because of natural causes by the moving of tectonic planes. But what if it was built a long time ago by a civilization we did not know about and due to an earthquake it fell down from a cliff? Geologists are still figuring how the structure came to be. 

 

BIMINI ROAD

 

 

Roads are for the land, right? What if there is a road underwater? The Bimini Road is an underwater rock formation near North Bimini island in the Bahamas. The Road consists of a 0.8 km (0.50 mi)-long northeast-southwest linear feature composed of roughly rectangular to subrectangular limestone blocks. Some theorists say that it is the road that leads to the lost city of Atlantis which until now cant be found. 

 

THE COLOSSAL SQUID

 

 

The colossal squid is a massive squid that lives in the deep sea surrounding Antarctica. Not only is it the largest invertebrate on Earth, but it also has the largest eyes of any animal, larger even than those of the great whales. Reaching combined body and tentacle lengths up to 46 feet (14 m) and weights of at least 1100 pounds (500 kg), the colossal squid is a very large deep-sea predator. They don’t have suckers in their tentacles, instead, they have ten giant tentacles covered in hooks. What if the stories about the Kraken were real?

 

 

 

MEGALODON

 

 

 

Megalodon, considered to be the largest shark, as well as the largest fish, that ever lived. With a whopping 18 meters (59 feet) in length and weighed about 48 tons, which is larger than any other shark known to have existed and more than twice the size of a great white shark. Researchers say that the Megalodon is now extinct but we never know because we only explored 5% of the ocean and what if it still lives?

 

 

WEIRD HUGE EYES

 

 

 

This bizarre huge eye was found floating on the surface of the ocean and it required more than two people to bring it to the shore because of its size and weight. It may be a dwarf’s giant squid’s eyes? There are many rumors that want it to be the eye of a mythical creature or the eye of a terrifying extinct species.

 

If you like this post and want to know more follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

 

Please Wait ...

HOW DID THIS ARTICLE MAKE YOU FEEL?