Although a work-from-home (WFH) setup is common among white-collar workers, it has never been as needed as it is now. Now that everybody is urged to stay indoors due to the pandemic, many companies today that still need to operate have no other choice but to allow their employees to continue working even in the comforts of their own homes.
But that’s one problem. As remote employees, we’re in a much more comfortable position. We’re not in our offices where we are expected to behave in a corporate manner and function like our life depends on how our CEO assesses our performance. We are in a place where it is acceptable to walk around topless, eat like a medieval soldier, and speak like a two-year-old. We are so free. And when there’s freedom, there’s also a possibility of it being abused.
Having been working at a creative agency, we aren’t new to the WFH setup. That being said, we asked some of our people how they manage to maintain a productive workflow even when they’re not in the office. Here’s what we got:
Create your own work station. It can be in your own bedroom, or in a silent corner of your living room far from where the naughty kids play. It may be tempting to work in bed, but the less temptation to sleep, the better.
- Make your own to-do list. Working in your home is going to be a lot different from working in the office. You will be overwhelmed not only with work tasks but also with many faces of distraction springing up from all sides of your house. You’ve got a phone. There are mobile apps like Asana that help keep track of your tasks.
- Maintain an open line of communication with the team. It’s also one way of making sure you’re still going in the right direction.
- Avoid breaks as much as possible. Sooner or later, the temptation to step away from work will come. When you give in to one, you’ll feel inclined to give in to the other. And then these series of breaks will turn into procrastination– our biggest enemy.
- Log out of socials. Some of your friends may not be as busy as you. So they are spending most of their time sharing memes, blowing up your GC’s. Another dangerous source of distraction.
- When there’s TV, bed, and Netflix, it is so easy to get caught up in your body’s call to self-indulge. Plus, there’s no boss or manager supervising you, so you are in a pretty risky situation. This is the perfect time to reflect on our moral values. YOU’RE BASICALLY AT WORK SO YOU SHOULD GET WORKING.
- Last but not the least, coffee. No further explanation. Just coffee.
You are lucky enough to have been given an opportunity to make a living despite everything that’s happening. Make the most out of it. Be as efficient you are in the office, take care of your company’s Macbook, and just do the right thing even when no boss is watching!