Jimi Hendrix’s upcoming posthumous LP includes 10 previously unheard tracks from the late guitarist. “Both Sides of the Sky” will hit the shelves on March 9, 2018.
The End of the Trilogy
“Both Sides of the Sky” consists of 13 tracks was recorded between January 1968 and February 1970. The LP serves as the final installment in the trilogy series of archived recordings, after 2010’s “Valleys of Neptune” and 2013’s “People, Hell and Angels”. Legendary recording producer/engineer Eddie Kramer (who worked on every Hendrix project before the guitarist’s death) co-produced the album alongside John McDermott and Hendrix’s sister Janie.
A majority of the 13 tracks, including a cover of cover of Muddy Waters’ “Mannish Boy”, showcases the Band of Gypsys: Hendrix on guitar and vocals, Billy Cox on bass, and Buddy Miles on drums. However, songs like “Hear My Train A Comin'” highlights the original Jimi Hendrix Experience lineup with Hendrix, Noel Redding on bass, and Mitch Mitchell on drums.
The unreleased LP also features a few notable collaborators. Stephen Stills from Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young appears on two tracks from September 1969: a cover of Joni Mitchell’s “Woodstock” and the original “$20 Fine”. The late Johnny Winter of Muddy Waters and Hendrix’s ex-saxophone sessionist Lonnie Youngblood are also included in the bill; Winter’s old excerpted rendition of Guitar Slim’s “Things I Used to Do” appears on the album in a full, remixed version while Youngblood is featured on “Georgia Blues”.
“Jimi’s true home was the studio – that’s where the music and the magic happened. He loved everything about recording, and it’s been my distinct pleasure and an honor to play a part in that process both then and now.”
— Eddie Kramer
The Track List
Here’s the complete track list of the album:
1. “Mannish Boy” (previously unreleased)
2. “Lover Man” (previously unreleased)
3. “Hear My Train A Comin'” (previously unreleased)
4. “Stepping Stone” (previously unreleased)
5. “$20 Fine” (previously unreleased, featuring Stephen Stills)
6. “Power Of Soul” (previously unavailable extended version)
7. “Jungle” (previously unreleased)
8. “Things I Used to Do” (featuring Johnny Winter)
9. “Georgia Blues” (featuring Lonnie Youngblood)
10. “Sweet Angel” (previously unreleased)
11. “Woodstock” (previously unreleased, featuring Stephen Stills)
12. “Send My Love To Linda” (previously unreleased)
13. “Cherokee Mist” (previously unreleased)
“Both Sides of the Sky” will be released on multiple formats such as CD, digital and numbered, and 180-gram audiophile double vinyl. Make sure you pick up your copy!
Featured image from NME