Joaquin Phoenix as Best Actor for ‘Joker’ + other Golden Globe winners
January 6, 2020 Shaina Dulay
There is no denying that Joaquin Phoenix‘s ‘Joker’ performance was phenomenal — and the Golden Globe Awards knows that.
Last year we had the great pleasure to see one hell of a film, and that is Todd Phillip’s “Joker” on which Joaquin Phoenix plays the titular lead. Admittedly it was the type of movie we wouldn’t want to watch again because of how sadly horrific it is, but damn was it good!
Moreover, Joaquin Phoenix’s performance for the iconic role was just really phenomenal — and a lot of people knew he would bag awards. True enough on this year’s Golden Globes held today, the new Joker’ bagged the Best Actor in a Drama award. Well deserved, tbh.
Of course, the actor had to make an acceptance speech for the award–something which is obviously not included in his strong suits. He himself admits that gets really awkward in similar situations, but he delivered a strong and important message nonetheless.
Watch Joaquin Phoenix’s acceptance speech for winning the Best Actor in a Drama award for “Joker” below.
As the video title says, he surely dropped a lot of F-bombs throughout the speech. It was not a bad thing though, especially when he used them to emphasize important current issues like the raging fires in Australia and environmental problems in general.
Ending the speech, he called to his co-actors and actresses and the whole audience to make changes and sacrifices in their lives, which he said he will do better at too. “We don’t have to take private jets to Palm Springs for the awards sometimes…“, he specifically said. We don’t know if you think so too, but Joaquin Phoenix is really something.
Notable winners of the 77th Golden Globe Awards
Of course, the award given to Joaquin Phoenix was not the only award for the night. After all, it’s the freakin’ annual Golden Globes! So below is the list of other notable awardees who went home with a big achievement — some of which won their first.
- “1917” – Best Drama
- Joaquin Phoenix for “Joker” – Best Actor, Drama
- Renee Zellweger for “Judy” – Best Actress, Drama
- “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” – Best Comedy or Musical
- Taron Egerton for “Rocketman” – Best Actor, Comedy or Musical
- Awkwafina for “The Farewell” – Best Actress, Comedy or Musical
- “Succession” from HBO – Best TV Drama Series
- Brian Cox for “Succession” – Best Actor, TV Drama
- Olivia Colman for “The Crown” – Best Actress, TV Drama
- “Fleabag” from Amazon Studios – Best TV Comedy/Musical Series
- Ramy Youssef for “Ramy” – Best Actor, TV Comedy/Musical
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge for “Fleabag” – Best Actress, TV Comedy/Musical
- Sam Mendes for “1917” – Best Director
- Brad Pitt for “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” – Best Supporting Actor
- Laura Dern for “Marriage Story” – Best Supporting Actress
- “Chernobyl” – Best TV Movie or Limited Series
- “Missing Link” – Best Animated Film
- “Parasite” from South Korea – Best Foreign Language Film
- “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from “Rocketman” – Best Original Song
Congratulations to all the winners!
Moreover, we would just like to commend Awkwafina, the first woman of Asian descent ever to win a Golden Globe for lead actress in a comedy. Also to “Parasite”, congrats for being the first South Korean movie to ever win the Golden Globe for best foreign language film!
What do you think of this year’s Golden Globe Awards winners? Also, what do you think of Joaquin Phoenix’s speech? Let us know your thoughts or opinions by sharing them through the comments below! Or just simply hit us up on our Facebook or Twitter account, @udouph.